A633.7.3.RB_ Manglona, Matthew-Napu_Leader Follower Relationship
Upon completion of my assessment of
this chapter’s exercise I see myself as a leader who has a fair relationship
with my followers. I have what Oblensky (2010) discussed as having “People
Focus” which as having them in a better position whether it would be through
motivation, capability, or just basic human emotion point of view. (p. 3610) I
would want to empower them through giving them the opportunity to think for
themselves. To develop their character not only as an employee but as
individuals as well. During this course over the past six weeks I don’t think
my thinking has changed when it comes to leading my subordinates. I always came
through with the approach of having my
employees challenged and to make
decisions on their own as I developed their professional development.
My thinking
in the context of this course has not changed. I always believed that through
empowering our employees it will allow for growth in the individual and set up
the future of the organization. Teaching them to adapt to change, be flexible
with decisions, and to have a sense of direction for your subordinate is a
benefit for the organization. Heifetz & Laurie (1997). states “a leader
must strike a delicate balance between having people feel the need to change
and having them feel overwhelmed by change.” (p. 4) So there is more to just having them accept
and embrace change. I have experienced this in so many ways in my organization
through new physical fitness standards and quick changes that occur through
mission directives.
The
significance of this in my future leadership goals is to ensure that my
subordinates are given the proper guidance to become better individuals themselves.
From the strategic standpoint this is for the future of the organization. If we
can develop our subordinates and subordinate leaders it will allow for the organization
to only grow better. Robert-Edomi (2014) states that “Managers are now
into a culture of coaching and motivating rather than controlling and it's a
very important shift to take note of.” (p. 10) Every leader, especially the new
generation leaders that are coming up, need to be good at empowering and
mentoring. That is what I would like to leave behind as a leadership goal and
objective for my organization. It all start with us now who are the current leaders
in our organization.
References:
Heifetz, R. A., & Laurie, D. L. (1997). The Work of
Leadership. Harvard Business Review, 75(1), 124-134.
Obolensky, N. (2010). Complex adaptive leadership. (20nd
edition.). London, UK: Gower/Ashgate
Robert-Edomi, S. (2014). Confidence = effective leaders.
Training Journal, , 9-12. Retrieved from
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1490686140?accountid=27203
No comments:
Post a Comment