Sunday, 19 June 2016

A633.3.3.RB - Complex Adaptive Systems

A633.3.3.RB _Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Complex Adaptive Systems



A company that I found that reflects both Morning Star and St. Luke’s image is a company called Triple Canopy Inc. Entertainment Close-up (2014) states that Triple Canopy Inc. is a global provider for security, mission support, advising, and training services. They had just recently went into an employee stocked ownership plan (ESOP) in which employees shared stock and ownership of the company. Professional Services Close-up (2014) state that 80% of their employees are former military members who bring back grounds of special operations, law enforcement, program management, and security force management. (p.1) Morning star does away with managers controlling the organization’s progress of production. Hamel (2011) discusses there is nothing wrong with the management process, however, “The problem isn't the occasional control freak; it's the hierarchical structure that systematically disempowers lower-level employees.” (p.49) which is pretty much how I see management in my organization.

In my organization there is a standard structure that has been around since the Army was first established. With a top head structure leading all the way to the bottom. Being able to freely do what you need to do as a leader is something I wish I can experience at least once in my organization. There are too many political and bureaucratic decisions being made which trickles down to the lowest level. If we were to adopt the concepts of Morning Star and St.Lukes I believe that we capable of controlling things at our level. Of course it may be different in a time of war because of restrictions on a global scale but what we can do at home will definitely allow freedom of movement to meeting the intentions of the overall mission given to us taking away the micromanaging of some leaders we experience today. Hamel (2011) states that the employees from Morning star differentiate what it was like working with other employers and comparing it to Morning Star. They discussed that they are able to take the initiative, more expertise, more flexibility, and more loyalty. (p. 56)

The one thing I know my organization can use moving forward is unlocking potential of its employees. Coutu (2000) states in reference to St. Lukes, “But here, we repeatedly ask people to go where they have never been. Our employees must take nothing for granted; they must peel away all the levels of their personalities to become who they really are. That's frightening.” (p.144) That is a (good) scary thing to have in your arsenal for your organization because of the output that comes from the employees. Some encounters I have experienced within my organization is that some superiors, peers, and even subordinates try to undercut and sabotage an individual for their personal benefit which eventually leaves negative performance ratings from the individual. Having freedom to move around and experience different avenues in the workplace will be another thing I would like to take with me to my organization. Hamel (2011) states “If people are free, they will be drawn to what they really like as opposed to being pushed toward what they have been told to like," says Rufer. "So they will personally do better; they'll be more enthused to do things." (p. 53) I know that this will be a difficult feat to produce in my organization especially with the history it strongly carries, but these examples that I have presented is what I believe will make my organization run more fluid and smooth.


References:
Coutu, D. L. (2000). Creating the Most Frightening Company on Earth. Harvard Business Review, 78(5), 142-150.

Hamel, G. (2011). First, Let's Fire all the Managers  (cover story). Harvard Business Review89(12), 48-60.

Triple canopy introduces employee-owned company. (2014). Entertainment Close-Up,

Triple canopy tapped for military times' best for vets: Employers 2014 rankings. (2014). Professional Services Close-Up,

No comments:

Post a Comment