A633.1.2.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_Leadership Gap
The reflective exercise from Obolensky (2010) where the
first question asked is:
1). Has your own attitude to leaders changed in your life,
and if so how?
My attitude towards leaders has changed dramatically from
the moment I knew what a leader was. I used to confuse the two of a boss
(manager) and a leader. A leader leads from the front, never talks down on his subordinates,
and works in a team environment. Voigt, & Guariglia (2015) states, “The
concept of a ‘leader’ goes beyond the responsibilities of a ‘manager.’ Although
they are usually one in the same person, the obligations, expectations, roles
and impact of a leader are very different from that of a manager” (p.14) I came to
find this out when I pinned the rank of 2nd Lieutenant in the Army.
Although I make the decisions, I have to lead by example, show compassion, and
most of all show that I care about my subordinates and my organization.
2) If we take a starting point the attitude to those in
authority/leaders as held by your grandparents, and then look at those
attitudes held by your parents, and then by you, and then by the younger
generation, is there a changing trend? If so, what is it?
I believe that there is a changing trend in attitude from
the generations of the “baby boomers,” generation X, and millennials. Marcus, M. (2014) described the Baby Boomers (grandparents) as “wanting
it all and being willing to work hard to obtain it, he identified them as the
classic workaholics, tending to be optimistic and valuing free expression and
social reform.” As leaders, baby boomers were not authoritarian, they believe
in seeking consensus and micromanaging their subordinates. (p.41) He then
discusses Generation X (parents) as those who want to finish task quickly and
tend to let the outcome of decisions as their primary source of motivation. They
were forming goals and planning strategically for their followers and
organizations. Finally Millennials (me and the younger generation) value optimism
and the ability to multitask (p. 42-45) more likely to include their followers
when making decisions for the organization because they believe in collective
action. (p.41) So to get back at the
question yes the attitude has changed based off the work ethic, leadership, and
authority practices.
3).
Why do you think this has occurred?
The
reasons that I think this has occurred is because of the generational
differences as I explained above. Technology also will have to play a factor
because as we all know technology has made life easier for the generation like
myself (millennial) at touch of a screen. Baby boomers and Generation X did not
have the same luxuries as us which made them work twice as hard for what they
wanted to do or accomplish as a generation.
References:
Obolensky, N. (2010). Complex adaptive leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty. Farnham, England: Gower.
Voigt, B., & Guariglia, J. (2015). Managers vs. leaders. Leadership Excellence, 32(10), 14.
Work values and generational differences: Using work values to understand generational differences in the canadian workplace (Order No. 3631245). Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1564479892?accountid=27203
Voigt, B., & Guariglia, J. (2015). Managers vs. leaders. Leadership Excellence, 32(10), 14.
Work values and generational differences: Using work values to understand generational differences in the canadian workplace (Order No. 3631245). Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1564479892?accountid=27203
No comments:
Post a Comment